Westminster Abbey

10:28 PM

I can't believe that I forgot about this. Westminster Abbey is one of the many historical landmarks in London. The abbey served as a coronation church and final resting place for most of the royalties (specifically, 17 monarchs). It was sort of freaky walking inside knowing that people are buried beneath the marble floor or on the walls and such. It's like a museum of the dead - no offense meant. But other than it being a tomb of historically significant people, the church houses priceless paintings, sculptures, textiles and other artifacts. I was easily amazed with it, physically. I love old and historical buildings. The moment I stepped inside, I couldn't help myself but imagine how the place looked like centuries ago. From being a sacred shelter to what it is now. I think there's a big difference but I'm very thankful that they've preserved almost every bit of it for the younger generations - mine included - to see.




Unfortunately, photography isn't allowed inside the main rooms where the tombs, paintings, and special artifacts are. But once we were outside into the open hallways, I immediately took out my camera to take photos of the place.
 It was like walking back in time where you're inside a castle, hearing sounds from flying dragons outside. If I haven't mistaken, this ceiling is called a fan-vault ceiling. King's College Chapel at Cambridge University has the largest of its kind in the whole world. I have a post about the Chapel somewhere in this blog. :)


This was where the exit was. The whole tower was just beautiful.

I realized after a few days that the iconic Abbey Road, popularized by The Beatle's album art, was just near the Abbey. Thus the name, Abbey Road. I could have snapped a few photos but we didn't have the opportunity to go back to Westminster again. :(

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. MAGNIFICENT ARCHITECTURE AND NICE SET K... MADE IT MORE BEAUTIFUL! HOW I WISH I COULD GO TO LONDON TOO..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rhon! The architecture is just breath-taking! Everything was made with fine details. The exit was where Kate Middleton entered during the Royal Wedding. :)

    ReplyDelete

Follow us on blogger

Stats

Photoblogs - Top Blogs Philippines
free counters
since April 18, 2010

Subscribe